Saturday, October 11, 2008

Jalapeno stuffed grilled steak

Last night, my husband wanted to go out for Mexican food. But I had planned a movie at home, so while he was coming home from work - I got to work. Last week there was a sale on some cheap boneless steak - a buy one get one free deal. So I had two 1/2 inch steaks that were pretty much the same size. This is what I did:

2 boneless 1/2 inch steaks - tenderized with one of those tenderizer hammers -to 1/4 inch thick. (Before I tenderized I sprinkled the steak with seasonings - ancho powder, caribbean calypso seasoning and vulcan fire salt - which I buy from The Spice House)
3/4 cup minced jalapenos (no seeds) from my garden
4 large shallots, minced - from my garden
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1 cup shredded mexican cheese of your choice (I had a blend)

Mix the jalapenos, shallots, garlic and cheese together, set aside.
Take one tenderized steak - lay it flat. Add the jalapeno mixture on top of steak. Spread it around to about an inch from the sides. Place the other steak on top. I used two bamboo skewers to seal up 2 sides of this steak package.
Carefully placed this steak on a heated grill and cooked each side for 20 minutes.

Afterwords, I realized that I totally forgot that I should have put fresh cilantro in the jalapeno mix too. But my husband and I enjoyed this steak, sipping margaritas and watching our movie!

No comments: