Sunday, September 12, 2010

Autumn is coming.... and my Jalapeno Popper Recipe

Absolute tender crunch walking through leaf mountains.
Ubiquitous scent of fall in the crisp, cool, hardy breeze.
Teasing drizzle of rain, sprinkling down on our soon to be harvest.
Undulating flames of a bonfire, we're bundled in layers, sipping hot apple cider.
Melting artists pallet of red, yellow, orange and every variation of brown, seen.
Never ending pumpkins, squash, beans, peas, peppers, onions, and  tomatoes.

I know... I don't wax poetic, but this morning inspired me to write something
down. Fall is my most favorite season. Perhaps it's the sense of urgency with
putting food by for the upcoming winter months, like a squirrel hording his
acorns. Or maybe the excitement in the knowledge that the crazy, busy
holidays are quickly approaching. Whatever the reason, I just love autumn!

I have so many jalapeno peppers that I've been growing, that I've been
making jalapeno poppers and freezing them. We do that every year.
We use them as appetizers for parties and even just as an appetizer
before our own dinner. We love jalapenos! I've changed the recipe to
whatever I have on hand. I've made cheese mixtures with just cheese,
cheese & herbs, and this year I'm into cheese with bratwurst & onions.
I've used hickory bacon, bacon marinated  in pumpkin butter (one of
my personal favorites), bacon sprinkled with granulated maple sugar
and even plain bacon. The recipe is ever changing!

I'll leave you with a recipe for jalapeno poppers. Play with it, change it,
ENJOY it!

No comments: