Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cherry Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

As I look outside at the rain that's coming down, with the cardinal who comes every morning with his noisy announcements, I have time to reflect on a few thoughts. I smell the cherry tomatoes cooking in my crockpot, which I started last night on low. My mom said all the victory garden tomatoes are almost all gone already. My tomatoes didn't take off this year. Maybe I'll put them in a different place next year, in the back of my yard, against the fence. Maybe I'll have just my pepper plants that seem to do so well in my garden right behind my house.

My mom had given me a big bag full of cherry tomatoes on Labor Day. I had made spaghetti sauce with them recently in the first batch my mom gave me (not as many as this time). I threw them in with the regular tomatoes to make sauce, which was a mistake, as the seeds are so tiny that they go through my food mill. My daughter's boyfriend can't have seeds (which doesn't bother us - but they really hurt him). Since mom gave me a huge amount this time, I can make a spaghetti sauce that is only from the cherry tomatoes. Cooking the tomatoes longer and on low, is supposed to make the lycopene more concentrated. Lycopene is a good cancer-fighting thing. So I'm trying this new sauce in my crockpot and we'll see how it goes. But at the moment, it's raining and I don't know when I'll be able to go outside and cut a bunch of basil and oregano to drop in there. I know I'll have to bite the bullet and get out there soon!

No comments: