Saturday, September 27, 2008

Peppers and more peppers

I picked 13 poblano peppers and 23 jalapenos yesterday. Now I need to find out what to do with them! I could make more dragonbites and stuffed peppers, but I already have quite a few bags of them in my freezer. I would like to do something different with them.

I have used a recipe that was listed on foodandwine.com:

Chiles with Beer and Cheese

  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
  • Salt
  • 1 pound poblano or Anaheim chiles (about 6 medium chiles)--charred, peeled,with stems, seeds and veins removed and flesh cut into narrow strips
  • 1 cup strong beer
  • 6 ounces medium-sharp Cheddar or domestic Muenster cheese, cut into thin slices

    1. Heat the oil in a deep, nonreactive, medium skillet or shallow flameproof casserole. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat until translucent.
    2. Add the chile strips, cover the pan and cook until just tender but not soft, about 4 minutes. Add the beer, increase the heat to high and boil, uncovered, until it is absorbed by the chiles, about 7 minutes.
    3. Spread the slices of cheese over the chiles and heat until melted. Serve immediately
    I used a pumpkin beer. Adding some sausage on the side made it a meal. I actually used the brown sugar breakfast sausage which went really well. Maybe I'll make some sage sausage this time. Here's to experimenting!

    No comments: