Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Chat about Rosemary!


While waiting for my seedlings to sprout, I thought I might talk a bit about herbs. My favorite herb being rosemary. Just the thought of rosemary and it's wonderful, pick-me-up scent makes me smile. Every year, I grow rosemary in a large pot on my deck. I don't know about anyone else, but when I grow my rosemary on my deck, it loves full sun. Mine likes to get watered, soaked actually, once a day. My big pot allows for a lot of drainage, so the plant isn't sitting in water. But for some reason, the plant just loves that soaking. If it doesn't get it, you can actually see the needles lose their softness. My sister-in-law who grew up in California, had bushes of rosemary growing year long in her back yard. Was I jealous! Now that they've moved back here, she grows her rosemary in pots, like I do. She really misses growing it in her yard. I know I would as well!

Rosemary is an ornamental plant as well as the needle type leaves being used in cooking. While most people keep their rosemary uses in recipes to a minimum, I tend to use more than the average cook. My family and I like the strong (sometimes over-powering) taste of rosemary. I use it in most things I cook. One of our favorite uses is making Rosemary Bread. Rosemary Bread goes well with just about any soup or stew, or even just for dessert. There is nothing like spreading homemade Lavender Jam (or jelly) on just baked Rosemary Bread!

Rosemary Bread
  • 3-1/2 cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (I use raw sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary needles (or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried)
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1-1/4 cups warm water
I cheat and throw everything in my bread machine. I put it on the dough cycle, so it does all the kneading and the first raise of the bread. Then I take it out of the machine and make it into whatever shape I want to make. Kind of like the artisan loaves you buy at the grocery store. Let it raise to double in size, which takes about an hour or so. Then bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Check the bread, you may need to keep it in for another 5-10 minutes. 

As I leave you here, I'll give you a few "facts" about rosemary...
  • Did you know that rosemary is an herb known for strengthening the memory and helping the brain?
  • Rosemary used to be worn by a bride (in a wreath) and also presented to wedding guests as a symbol of love and loyalty.
  • A sprig of rosemary used to be carried to funerals and thrown on the coffin for remembrance.
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: