Friday, April 5, 2013

Everyone needs a little Thyme

Still impatiently waiting for my seeds to break ground in their little seed pots. It's been 3 days! Feels like forever though. So while we await... let's talk about another herb. Today, I choose thyme because that's another strong herb that my family loves. 

I grow thyme in a pot on my deck, in full sun. Usually I have it sharing the big pot with oregano. They co-exist very nicely!

Just like my rosemary, it loves a good soaking. It is a perennial, but usually I have to replant every year because they like to die on me over the winter. Last year was the first time it survived. And it's looking pretty good for this year as well. Time will tell soon enough!

As with rosemary, I tend to put thyme in everything I cook. Well, just about everything.  It's another strong tasting and scented herb. I don't have a specific recipe that I use with thyme, except my son's favorite, chicken noodle soup. He loves a lot of strong thyme flavor there. And don't forget to spice up the homemade bread to go with that soup, with thyme as well!

I'll leave you here again with some more "factoids" for thyme.

  • Oil of thyme, the essential oil of common thyme (Thymus vulgaris), contains 20–54% thymolThymol, an antiseptic, is the main active ingredient in various commercially produced mouthwashes such as ListerineThymol can also be found as the active ingredient in some all-natural, alcohol-free hand sanitizers.
  • A tea made by infusing the herb in water can be used for coughs and bronchitis.
  • Also used for clairvoyance, cleansing, courage, healing, protection and purification.

No comments: