Sunday, September 26, 2010

Autumn Spiced Apple Cider Pumpkin Can Chicken and Grilled Red Potatoes with Fall Harvest Sauce

Apple cider, pumpkin, poblano peppers, onions, potatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, the scents of autumn cooking. Put them all together and you've got my Autumn Spiced Apple Cider Pumpkin Can Chicken (a version of beer can chicken) and Grilled Red Potatoes with Fall Harvest Sauce... which I made up yesterday. I wanted to make a special meal for my husband, who is going out of town for a few days. Actually, he left early this morning.

I wanted something autumny (is that even a word?) and I looked around to see what was on hand. A whole chicken in the freezer, frozen pureed pumpkin which I made from a sugar pumpkin in my garden, a half bag of red potatoes and some onions that I had gotten last week from the store. I almost always have coconut milk because my daughter is vegan and won't touch milk or cream. Of course I picked my own poblano pepper from my garden. I can chop a poblano or even jalapeno peppers in just about everything I make! I always have spices, so no worry there. The only thing I had to go out to the store for was the apple cider.

My recipe, which I threw together from the top of my little head, went over very well with my husband and soon to be 19-year old son. My husband, will eat just about anything. My son, on the other hand, is an extremely picky eater... kind of like the person I used to be to my own mom, until I grew up and expanded my palate. You can also put both the potatoes and the chicken in the oven at perhaps 350-375 for an hour or so, instead of on the grill.

No comments: