Monday, October 6, 2008

Blue Jay and Squirrel


The squirrels are getting real nasty! I threw out some peanuts for the squirrels and I heard a blue jay coming. They have a very distinctive, loud noise they make. I call it noise because it is loud! You can hear a blue jay coming from quite a distance away!. Anyway, blue jays are notoriously nasty birds. They dive bomb other birds, and anything else that gets in their way - like squirrels and even cats! Well, when the blue jay came to my deck, a squirrel jumped on him (actually, can't tell if it was a he or she, but we'll go with he for this story). Mr. Blue Jay flew off to my Norwegian Maple tree in the corner of my yard. I wasn't really paying attention then, when all of a sudden, I saw the blue jay from the tree take off really fast. Birds usually leave that fast because a hawk is nearby. I scanned the area, but found nothing. I got out my trusty binoculars and looked in among the branches of the tree, as I have one hawk who likes to sit and stalk in there. What did I see? Not a hawk. I saw the squirrel that had jumped on the blue jay on my deck. He had gone out there to get the blue jay off of his property and away from the nuts! He was finally satisfied that the blue jay was not coming back, so he shimmied back down the tree and came back to my deck! I tell you, this year is going to get cold!

No comments: