Sunday, August 24, 2008

Of Peppers and Pesto


Well my peppers picture was definitely not my best picture, but you get the point. I picked 9 poblanos! These are all about 4-5 inches long. They could have gotten bigger, but I have so many other peppers growing on my two poblano plants, that I thought it's time. Might as well get some off and see if it helps the others grow faster. Don't want to overtax my plants! My husband broke off a small branch that had little peppers growing, as well as some pepper buds. We could have had 9 more from these in the future. He felt so bad because it happened when he was weeding there. These peppers I'm going to stuff with a cheese and herb mixture and wrap in bacon, and freeze.
I'm sure I'll be looking for other recipes soon!

And of course, my pesto. I made a double batch from this site: http://www.pickyourown.org/pesto.php and it filled my new 500ml Ball jar totally full! I can't freeze this one (as I did the last batch), as I put in the Parmesan cheese this time. The cheese doesn't freeze well. But I certainly used some last night for dinner. Pesto on my bow tie pasta - wonderful! But, I'll be using this jar all week, as it only stays fresh for about a week. I'll marinate chicken - put it in rice - anything!

No comments: