Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chives are coming up!


This past weekend, my husband and I went to check our garden area, to see what we need to do to make it ready for planting. I wasn't too surprised to see my chives already coming up. I have two bunches of regular chives and one of garlic chives. The picture above is one bunch of regular chives. I get so many chives over the summer, that I usually have to make a pesto out of them and freeze to use during the winter months. I put chives in everything. Soups, stews, casseroles, in cream cheese to stuff into jalapenos, etc... 


The above picture is right next to my chive patch. This is where we plant our jalapenos, poblanos and cubanelles, and this year habaneros as well. Usually, this area is full of weeds by now. I'm actually pretty impressed with what my husband did last year to prepare the soil. He used the cultivator to loosen the soil. And then he added a good portion of peat moss and then added more garden soil to the mixture. We really didn't have too many weeds come up last year. Hoping for more of the same this year!

So far on my seedling count:

16 giant jalapeno seeds... 6 up
16 cubanelle seeds... 0 up
2 poblano seeds... 0 up
2 habanero seeds... 0 up


No comments: