Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lovely Lavender


Since I spoke about my favorite herb yesterday, rosemary, I thought it would be a good time to chat about lavender. Lavender is from the same family as rosemary. They look a lot alike. A few years ago, I replaced most of my rose bushes that were growing around our deck. We kept getting the Japanese beetles all over the roses, so we decided to replace them with another one of my favorite flowers, lavender! It's a great perennial that grows into nice aromatic, flowery bushes. Besides smelling pretty, I use the flowers from lavender in cooking. They are easy to collect and dry for future use. I've made lavender ice cream, jelly, scones and in spice mixes. I spoke yesterday about making rosemary bread and using lavender jelly on it. Since I shared my bread recipe, I'll also share my lavender jelly recipe.

Lavender Jelly

  • 4 cups distilled water
  • 4 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 4 cups of sugar
  • 1 3oz packet liquid pectin
Bring the distilled water to a boil
Infuse with 4 tablespoons dried lavender flowers (make sure you didn't use insecticide on them)
Let this infusion steep for 20 minutes, then strain
Combine together 2 cups of the lavender infusion, lemon juice and the sugar
Bring this to a full boil, stirring non-stop.
Then add 1 packet of liquid pectin and boil for one minute.
Then remove from heat
Fill (5 or 6) 1/2 pint sterile jars and seal

When you add the lemon juice to the lavender infusion, the juice all of a sudden turns a pretty pink. It's really a neat thing to see! This jelly has a very delicate flavor. It tastes just like lavender smells! This jelly can lose it's flavor in a few months. So keep it in a cool, dark place, and use it quickly. I bring a jar to family get togethers along with a lightly herb-ed bread. It complements Rosemary Bread beautifully!
 
Steps in processing jams & jellies

For more info on canning jellies and jams, go to:

For another recipe that I posted on this blog Herbes de Provence go to: http://suburban-gardening.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

In closing today, I'll leave you with some lavender "factoids".

  • Lavender is a frequent addition to healing sachets, especially bath mixtures, and is added to incenses to cause sleep. 
  • Lavender is a great antibiotic, antidepressant, sedative and detoxify. Stimulates the immune system.
  • Lavender has long been used in love spells. Clothing rubbed with the fragrant flowers (or Lavender placed in drawers with clothes) attracts love. 

  • No comments: