Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cilantro

I had planted two cilantro plants in my garden a week ago. Buying the cilantro plants actually is against what my garden is all about. Growing expensive produce at a price I can afford. I don't know why I bought the cilantro, as you can get 4-5 bunches of cilantro on sale at the local produce store when they have a big sale. Lately, it's been 2 for .99 - I just like cilantro. I like the smell and the flavor. I just wanted to grow it. It's actually doing very well in my garden.
On the Internet , I found that cilantro is also called coriander. Supposedly the essential oils in cilantro leaves contain antibacterial properties and can be used as a fungicide. The Chinese used the herb in love potions believing it provided immortality. I've eaten so much cilantro that I should be immortal by now!

No comments: