Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thyme is magic


Last year was the first time that my thyme ever took off. I had bought a big urn-type pot, and planted one plant of thyme. I watered it thoroughly every day. It just got so big and bushy! I decided to do the same this year - same pot. I actually planted two types of thyme. They are both taking off so well - just like last year! The pot you see will be totally filled by the end of summer.
Thyme can be made into a syrup for use in the winter time as an antiseptic. A standard infusion of fresh leaves and a teaspoon of honey helps with sore throats, coughs and colds. Thyme is another herb that you don't use medicinally when you are pregnant.
Thyme is a great ingredient to spice up any meat or fish. As usual, you are supposed to use thyme leaves sparingly so that it doesn't overwhelm the flavor of the meat / fish, but I still use just a bit more because I just love that flavor and strong smell. You can almost do no wrong and make things always taste great with fresh thyme (and rosemary, my other favorite herb) - just like magic!

No comments: