Sunday, September 7, 2008

Putting food by...

Looked at the garden this morning - and the tomatoes that I have on the plants are going to be the last of the season. Very disappointing yield! But my peppers - wow! I stuffed 14 poblano peppers with a cream cheese, cilantro, green onion, shallot and cojack cheese mixture. Then I wrapped some honey maple bacon around it and put them in the freezer. I have another 12 poblanos to go, for now. I have 4 cubanelles which I'll have to think about what to do with - something different. I have way too many jalapenos to count. I am going to make dragon bites out of them - but just the thought of having to halve and seed them has put me off a little. It's going to be a huge undertaking!

Yesterday, I had gotten some of those big cans of crushed tomatoes from Sam's Club. Three cans to be exact - so a total of about 18-19lbs of crushed tomatoes. Each can only cost $2.30 for just over 6lbs. So cheap! Then I food processed a large bag of carrots, a bag of celery and three large onions. I added a tablespoon each of horseradish and worcestershire, and salt. Then I added 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 2 2 tablespoons of hot sauce. I put everything together in a 16 quart stock pot, and let that cook on low for a few hours to make sure that the vegetable were nice and soft. After that, I put everything through a food mill. I kept the leftover pulp for use in some recipes for my vegan daughter. The juice, I heated again until it was simmering. I added three tablespoons of lemon juice to the bottom of each quart jar and filled up to 3/4" headspace. I processed in a hot water bath for 50 minutes. It made a total of 9 quarts. There was a lot of pulp left over so I froze that in 6 individual containers for later use. I was able to use and save eveything!

No comments: