Monday, September 1, 2008

Worms on my tomatoes again

After spending all this time getting my tomato plants back to looking good, I find the tell-tale signs of infestation again. Yesterday afternoon, I saw the white worms / bugs all over the German Queen tomato plant leaves. I sprayed with Safer again. This morning when I checked on them, I even saw one little green worm standing up doing a dance. I hope it was in it's death throws from the Safer. If not, I think I've had it with the tomatoes this year. It's just like the Japanese beetles we kept fighting for a month on our roses - they just keep coming back! It's strange, so far they are only affecting my two German Queens and not my Health Kicks (where they attacked first last time). I also saw a very pretty white moth under a leaf one of my Health Kick tomatoes. It was only and inch and a half to two inches long. White with blacks dots interspersed - pretty, but didn't belong there.

On another note, we saw a Hairy Woodpecker on my thistle feeder - the one that's all mesh. They are native to our area, but I rarely get them in my yard. Don't ask me why they call the Hairy Woodpecker "hairy", because they aren't - hairy. But I only get a woodpecker once or twice a year - always fun to watch!

No comments: