Thursday, June 5, 2008

The shallots are coming, the shallots are coming.

My shallots are peaking through the soil! I'm so excited!

Okay, okay, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to grow shallots. You stick a bulb in the ground and let it grow. Supposedly easier to grow than regular onions. But the flavor of shallots are so wonderfully delicate. To buy them at the grocery store is expensive, as compared to regular onions. But I'm pretty proud of myself. Let's hope I don't kill these, like my first endeavor...

I find on the Internet that the best time to plant them is in the fall? You mulch them over the winter and you are supposed to harvest them the next fall? Well, we'll see how that goes. I planted in the spring, I'll harvest them in the fall, and probably try planting more at that time. You learn something new everyday!

~Mutti

No comments: