Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sweet Basil and Mint

I ended up with more seeds than my garden allowed, so I planted the extras in troughs on my deck. My husband made a wire cage on top of the troughs so that the squirrels in the area don't dig any of the dirt up. I had sweet basil and jalapeño seeds that were leftover from the garden. Right now, the basil seeds are coming up in the troughs, but not in my garden. And my jalapeño seeds aren't coming up in either place yet. It's interesting how nature works!

Today, my husband and I will be on the hunt at various stores to find "mint". Not peppermint. But mint. We have very good friends from India. They are always on the lookout for fresh mint. They make some kind of sauce or paste by grinding jalapeños and mint together. They said for some reason, they've never seen the fresh mint here that they had in India. So we'll see what we can find.

~Mutti

No comments: