Friday, August 29, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce

My 76 year old mom, who has a victory garden in her senior community, surprised me with a visit yesterday afternoon. She helps other people with tending their gardens when they either are too lazy, or too ill to do it. She'll pick and wash the vegetables and bring them over to the owners. Well, mom came bringing a big cooler full of tomatoes, 3 green peppers, one onion and one banana pepper. The owners were a little sick of all the tomatoes, so they gave them to my mom, who is also a little sick of all the tomatoes. She didn't want to see them go to waste, so she took a road trip to bring them to me. She knew that I would can them - she only cans jelly. So after our long chat over a soda, she left and I got to work. I washed and chopped everything she gave me. I even had an onion of my own, as well as my fresh basil and oregano - and then I threw in some garlic too. I cooked that sauce for hours on low. I cooled it down a bit before I put the whole pot in the refrigerator - I got too tired to finish it last night. So this morning, I will put all that sauce through my food mill to get out seeds and skin. Then I'll cook it down until it gets real thick - perfect for canning. I already have my lemon juice to put in the bottom of my jars before I put the sauce in and start processing in a hot water bath. She doesn't expect it, but mom will be getting a small jar or two of spaghetti sauce that she can put away!

No comments: