Thursday, August 21, 2008

zucchini recipes

Well, hubby came home with 2 huge zucchini's that he received from someone at work. I love free vegetables! But what to do with them....

The first, and largest zucchini, I sliced into 10 slices, all about an inch thick. I had decided to make zucchini burgers for my vegan daughter. I blanched those slices in salted, boiling water for a few minutes, then put them in a freezer bag, one layer only- and they are now in the freezer. I have 2 bags of thick zucchini slices for when my daughter comes over for dinner. I'll just take two slices out and we can grill them up for her.

The second zucchini was almost as big as the first. I sliced it lengthwise down the middle, scooped out the seeds. Applied olive oil on the outside skin. I filled the hollow area with whatever I had on hand, which was some leftover mexican rice, chopped, grilled chicken, kidney beans, and some cojack cheese. I placed the zucchini on the grill using non-direct heat, and grilled them until the zucchini got soft enough. It took awhile, at least 30 minutes, because the zucchinis were so big. Afterwords, we added some salsa on top because we needed a little bit more flavor and spice. It was delicious!

No comments: