Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tomato Horn Worm

I noticed the other day that one of my health kick tomato plants had been stripped bare - it actually looked like someone broke off branches or ate the branches or something. Well, this morning, I found the culprit. A tomato horn worm! They are really huge caterpillars. Never saw one in my life until this one. This one was about 2-1/2 to 3 inches long. They can get to 4 inches. It was very hard to spot, because it's the same color as the tomato plant. I just noticed what I thought was a curled up leaf and looked harder. The first picture is the worm upside down where you see it's legs clinging to the stem. The other picture is kind of blurry, but it was my husband holding the branch he cut off with the worm on it. He then placed it out into the field behind our house. I have a feeling this won't be the last of this creature I see.

I understand that some people like to see these worm go into a cocoon and watch them emerge as a huge five-spotted hawkmoth. I didn't want to wait around to see it though. I'll have to find some safe product to spray on my plants, because I don't think this will be the last I see of the tomato horn worm!

Searched the Internet on a safe product to use on my vegetables / fruits. Located something by Safer brand called 3-in-1 Garden Spray - and it was at my local Lowes store. We'll see how this saga turns out!

No comments: