Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trying to save my tomatoes from tomato hornworms

I've been fighting the tomato hornworm. I had bought a spray bottle of Safer 3-in-1 garden spray and applied it last night. I have to say, my tomato plants were covered with those white things - looks like bugs, but probably the baby worms. I sprayed them all - top and bottom. My leaves were starting to turn brown from where they were laying. I hope I caught everything in time. Though, this morning, there are still some of those white things on them, but not as many as before. And if I'm not mistaken, they look like they've gotten a little bigger overnight. Hope it's just my imagination.

My pepper plants don't show an infestation, even though the leaves look bug bitten. They are supposed to go after pepper plants too. I will get very angry if something happens to my peppers. If, worse comes to worse, my tomato plants belly up, I can at least use the huge cans of tomato sauce from Sam's Club to make all my different tomato and spaghetti sauces. Can't beat a 128oz can for $2.80., and it's a name brand too. I just want to be able to do it on my own, with no extra salt added.
My friend from Iowa said that his tomatoes have been dying. I mentioned the whole problem with the tomato hornworm. He said he doesn't get bugs or worms. Yeah, sure. We've never had this much rain before. The whole environment has changed, making things different - not what we are used to. He was going to go check and see if his tomato plants have those little white bugs/worms that don't really move (yet, at least). I'll bet he does. He said he'll use Sevin on them, if he's infested!

No comments: